Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tip Of The Week - Drapery Placement

This is a tip that I honestly thought was common sense and after looking at some pictures online this week, I am discovering that it isn't, so I thought I would share.

I wish I had other pictures to show you but I am lacking in the drapery panels in my house at the moment (haven't gotten that far in most of my rooms).

Tip #1 - Drapery Panels should ALWAYS come to the floor!

This is a picture of when I had just made these window treatments in my old house. I am actually doing what we call "puddling" here (where the drapes puddle onto the floor). I guess I didn't realize that people didn't know this, but you should never hang your drapes to high to where they don't at least skim the top of the floor.
Unless you are planning on a flood parading into your home anytime soon, please follow this rule. It is definitely something that can completely ruin a beautiful drape.

Tip #2 - Always hang your drapery panel at least 12"-18" past your window.

The drapery panels in this window are completely functional, they are intended to screen the window and keep the light out.
What you don't see in this picture, is that when these are open, NONE of the drapery is blocking the window (sliding door) so that light can come in entirely.
Here is a perfect picture to show this. The right side of this drapery panel just touches the edge of the window.

People want the most sunlight in their home during the day, and if you hang your drapes in front of the window, you completely lose the light as well as the beautiful picture of a window.

This rule also goes for valances. Hang your valances higher to where they don't come down and cover the window. The only exception to this is if you are hanging it inside of the window frame. If you are doing that, you just need to be careful, each situation is different there.

Like I said before, I wish I had better pictures to show you but I don't want to take people's pictures that I have seen online and post them here of what not to do.... just wouldn' t be kosher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails