Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Before & After No Cost Spare Bedroom "Updo"

So my spare bedroom is probably the least important room in our house. it doesn't get used much and as you can see in the pictures, I quite often will use it as a storing ground until I find a place for certain items.

I didn't want to spend any money on this room but it has been driving me crazy with how bland and boring it is!!!!

I sold some old bedding on our local classifieds and I took that money and bought this simple brown bedding from when we first moved in. I had the orange and green pillows from years ago and thought I would use whatever I had so it didn't cost me anything. Everything looked so drab that I had to do something about it.
I went down to my paint selection in our basement and I pulled out the leftover red/orange color from my family room and decided to paint 2 walls in the spare.
I painted the back focal wall behind the bed and the window nook. I pulled out some chocolate brown pillow shams I made years ago and wasn't using as well as the small brown pillow. I did purchase this throw blanket at Costco... mainly to fulfill my soft blanket obsession and I moved the wreath from the far right wall to above the bed to fill the void.
Here is where the wreath was before and it was looking quite sad.
I added a little bit of spray paint to the wreath to make it darker... it blended in with the wall before.
Here is the messy room before with the window nook.
Here it is painted the red color. (I still have to add drapes, cover that bare pillow, and hang the magnet board still sitting on the floor).
Here is our old dresser that will stay here until we figure something else out.
Here I just added a live plant that I had and it seemed to warm up the dresser and take away from how unattractive the dresser is (it was a hand-me-down from my step-dad).

But I have to talk about the dried arrangements flanking the mirror.

If you notice in each of those last 2 pictures, I had dried "floral" type stuff in each but they were different.

I literally went out and pulled WEEDS..... Yes WEEDS people and dried them.
I started off with these wheat looking ones that worked fine, but they kind of got lost against the neutral wall....
so I changed them out with these orangey colored weeds.....
I know that may seem weird to some of you, that I would actually go out and pick weeds... but it worked for what I was looking for and it was FFFRRREEEEEEEE!!!!

I liked the color of the second ones better with the wall color.

Like I said before, this room is NOT my priority and I know it still needs a lot of work, but I definitely can tolerate it a lot more with the walls painted and it was just with stuff that I had in the house.

*OK.... I know you can see my NOT SO PRETTY self in the mirror reflection.... I was still in pjs with my glasses on, hair pulled back, in my husband's sweatshirt and probably 8 months preggo! Please don't judge me off of those!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your getting it there. Love the wall colors and I would never have guessed those were weeds. I actually love them.


Related Posts with Thumbnails