Thursday, October 15, 2009

Making Of - FAMILY Sign

Remember the small wall from my glazing video? Remember how I said that eventually something would be hanging on that wall? Well I finally put something together and I am so excited to show it to you because of how incredibly INEXPENSIVE it was!!!!

Well Here is what I made!
How to Make:


The first thing I did was go to our local thrift store, Deseret Industries (the DI) and purchase this picture frame for $2.00!
You can see from this picture that it was a bit beat up.... Nothing some spray paint couldn't cover!
I sprayed the frame with this black spray paint.... This kind I got at Walmart for $.97! And I was able to use it for other projects also.
first I printed out the letters on the computer and cut them out...
then I went over them with a black marker on the front and sides..... Spent all of this time getting it all cut out and finished.... Then my husband told me that you can still print on big paper if you create a custom size!

So, after spending all of this time on it, he PRINTED it out for me straight on my paper and saved me the hassle of having to spray glue it down! Wish I would have known that before I spent all the time cutting those things out!
Because my picture frame opening was 16"x6", I needed to go buy some special paper that was big enough. This is art paper and it cost me approximately $2.50. I took the glass out and with my exact o-knife, cut around it.
I took some chalks and a little cotton ball and colored around the edges to add something to the paper.
I used a light brown, dark brown, red brown, and a red layered on top of each other to create the edges to look like this.
And here it is finished on my wall. This project cost me approximately $5.00 and it is a good size, not a small dinky picture. I am so glad to have something on that wall now and that the empty void isn't staring at me every time I walk into the kitchen.

The nice thing is, you have left over paper and spray paint to use for another project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails