Saturday, October 31, 2009

Cheap and Simple - Side Table and Basket

I have posted a Cheap and Simple post before and I decided that I was going to do a "series" of these posts, which will be projects for under $10 (usually less) and don't take much artistic skill at all.

A few weeks ago, I was in the DI thriftstore and came across this table.
It was marked at $10 and I was kind of considering it. The bottom tray shelf was broken and needed fixing but I knew I could do that. One of the workers saw me looking at it and approached me and said "If you are willing to buy this, I will mark it down to $5. I need to get the floor cleared for Saturday." He ran out and grabbed his price gun before I even had a chance to answer. What the heck I thought, can't beat a $5 table.

My husband of course thought I was crazy with seeing the broken shelf and told me "you know most of this stuff will just be coming right back here." I looked at him and said "have a little faith in me would ya"

I have pretty much turned our unfinished basement into a spray paint gallery. I took the table down there and fixed the shelf with some Gorilla Glue and then took this left over black paint that I had from a furniture refinish I did years ago.
I got started painting it and realized that I didn't have the patience to sit and paint this whole thing with a few coats of paint and do a good job.
I did a quick cover with the paint and decided to pull the spray paint out!
And here is the final reveal of it. I am going to use this in between my 2 chairs in the office and I am really happy with the way that it turned out.

My husband was even impressed with the way that it turned out and I think that even he would agree that it isn't going back to the DI anytime soon.
I will show it all put together and with the chairs next to it when I show the full office reveal.
I absolutely love these cheap and simple projects and I know that my husband loves that they cost him almost nothing!

Now here is another project I did. On the same DI run as the table, I found this basket. I have been wanting a basket by my front door so that people know to take off their shoes and put them in there. I found this basket for $3 and thought that it would be perfect.
I took some brown spray paint that I had and coated it up (baskets always take a couple of coats from different angles to get inside the weaves) and then after that dried I did a very light coat with some black spray paint at a distance to tone down the brown.
After I got it all sprayed, I realized that if I used the basket for shoes, it would probably take all of the paint off, so I decided to use it for my blankets instead.

I was actually able to do BOTH of these projects for under $10 and I had the spray paint lying around in my basement already. SO cheap and simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails